Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sacrificing sleep and procrastinating homework to make for one hellish weekend, here's one cool hero log! Whoo!

Actually I wanted to do one for Chen since I just played it but I foresee that it is going to be a looooong one for Chen.


Hero Log 7/80: Omniknight

Not wholly fun. Seems like a really nice prospect at first because the Omniknight can heal, slow, and most mighty of all, make a target spell immune, which has an impossible to overstate utility.
Unfortunately, his holiness Purist Thunderwrath apparently got his good looks and fine blonde mane by shaving a few points off intelligence. To top that off, his spells are rather mana intensive. That big hammer of his also seems rather unwieldy and attacks really slowly. The worst thing though, is that for a healer that needs to provide immediate healing assistance to allies or some friendly Guardian Angel, the Omniknight has an awful casting animation, and not the greatest casting range on Purify either.

For all the above, GA and Repel are far too useful to put the Omniknight down.

During big battles, the Omniknight needs to enter prepared. The right hero needs to have been repelled before the spells start flying. He must be constantly ready to heal, and of course cast GA as the battle heats up. I can repel, and I stand back enough to not be stunned most of the time when GA is sorely needed. After GA however, when I've tanked my fair share of AoE spells, I heal myself, repel myself, and chase after any hero without a proper escape mechanism.

Degen Aura is probably the most annoying damn aura in the entire game. Except of course, that without a skill to provide hardcore damage output for the Omniknight, I usually end up getting KSed by a "stray" spell or another hungry late gamer.

I went a sort of RK like build for Omni, except without the early game items. More mana regen, more passive play, since unlike RK there is no Storm Bolt for Purist to spam (even with his large hammer, but he sure ain't throwing that around). BoT comes in early with a few bracers, followed by Sange and Yasha. Don't really like Radiance that early since I'm a movement speed whore and need a bit of tanking power since I do actually intend to at least spare a repel for another late gamer. I am a team player, k! Being the nice team player that I am, I even get a Vladimir's Offering to provide friendly aura, then finish it with a Burize, and Aegis for Survival++.

Meh. I wasn't planning to go support on that one. Omniknight's combat abilities, especially with that irritating aura of his and that even more irritating anti magic shield, are too good to pass on. Granted, it does get KSed a lot.

I'm pretty okay with this hero. Not one of my favourites because it's expected to support, there's a rather pressurising role in team battles, and it sort of sucks at farming early game without a really good ally helping you. Not to mention with no reliable nuke and slow attack speed, this guy gets KSed far too much.

What I like though, is his annoying ability to stop teammates from dying, and even better, stop himself from dying.

I really would like to farm faster with him though, but I guess he's more designed to be a support hero. Heck, I like to play him more as a combat hero.

No comments: